The Memphis Fire Department is investigating a house fire that left a male and female adult dead.
The blaze started at approximately 3:20 a.m. on Sunday at 3041 Cromwell Road, a one-story wood-frame residence. Fire crews say they determined there was no working smoke detector in the house.
"With the temperatures dropping here lately people begin to heat their homes, turn their furnaces and gas heaters on, so we just want to ensure citizens are safe," says Battalion Chief Keith Staples.
The Memphis Fire Department did give new smoke detectors to Cromwell Avenue neighbors after fighting the fire.
MFD says the origin and the cause of the fire at 3041 Cromwell are inconclusive at this time. They are not releasing the names of the victims pending positive identification and notification of kin.
The Memphis Fire Department urges all citizens to make sure smoke detectors are working inside residences. Any City of Memphis resident can apply for a free smoke detector by contacting the Fire Museum of Memphis at 901-636-5650.
Staples says with the cold weather season beginning, people need to remember the following tips when using a furnace or heater:
Make sure your home has a working smoke detector
Have furnaces and heaters checked by a licensed professional before using them
Keep combustible items, drapes and linens away from space heaters